The Dona Spring Animal Shelter is LEED registered with the goal of silver certification. LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), is an internationally-recognized green building certification system developed by U.S. Green Building Council. We are proud that the shelter includes many environmentally friendly elements in its design, materials and operation.
- Designated bicycle parking
- Water penetrating grass pavers for vehicle parking
- Rain gardens to hold water run-off
- Reduced light pollution to the sky with shielded exterior and interior lighting
- Green screen fence (fencing with natural vine covering)
- Drought resistant landscaping
- High efficiency toilets, shower & washing machines
- High efficiency water brooms for floor cleaning
Energy and Atmosphere
- High efficiency heating and cooling system
- Heat is provided with 90% efficient natural gas fired boilers, and distributed via a typical ducted forced air system.
- Cooling loads are typically higher in buildings with lots of people and animals, artificial lights, etc. Cooling is provided using large Evaporative Cooling Units (natural cooling as a by-product of evaporation). This system requires low energy input compared to typical “air conditioning”. All ventilation will use fresh outside air, to reduce the spread of disease between animals.
- Solar Hot Water Heating – solar collectors on the roof will pre-heat the water before it is heated by the boilers, reducing energy costs.
Materials and Resources
- Green Roof – Reduces energy required to heat and cool building and reduces storm water run-off
- High performance insulated glazing on windows reduces energy loads for both heating and cooling
- Recycle construction waste
- Materials with high recycled content (concrete, insulation, ceiling tiles, countertops, etc.)
- Poured in Place Concrete – Fly ash replaces a portion of cement in concrete mix.
- Locally manufactured materials where possible (less CO2 produced through shorter deliveries)
- Certified Forest Stewardship Council sustainably harvested wood products
- Polished Concrete slab – when hardeners are added to the concrete and it is polished, the slab becomes an attractive finished floor, eliminating the need for conventional floor coverings that require maintenance and periodic replacement.
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Provide good natural ventilation with operable windows that are properly shaded with exterior sunshades and interior blinds
- Provide better filtration system on HVAC equipment
- Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emitting materials for paint, carpet & composite wood materials
- Provide natural daylighting in all areas through sun-controlled windows and skylights